– (August 31, 2010)
– In recognition of Hunger Action Month, Ameriprise Financial, Inc. (NYSE: AMP) today announced that it is launching the Ameriprise Financial Challenge – a program that will double match all online contributions to Feeding America made during the month of September.* The public is encouraged to visit hungeractionmonth.org
starting tomorrow to make a contribution.
“The fact that one-in-six Americans – or 49 million people, including nearly 17 million children – face hunger is a startling reality,” said Brian Pietsch, head of community relations at Ameriprise Financial. “Through the Ameriprise Financial Challenge, we’re hoping to not only raise awareness of domestic hunger, but also to remind people that collectively we can make a substantial impact.”
As a lead sponsor of Hunger Action Month, Ameriprise Financial is also supporting domestic hunger relief in other ways, including:
· Giving back through volunteerism – Ameriprise Financial will host onsite volunteer activities at its employee centers in Minneapolis, Boston, Green Bay and Phoenix. The company will also help its employees and financial advisors find opportunities to partner with hunger relief organizations in their own communities.
· Encouraging its employees and advisors to help “Can Hunger” – On September 16, the company will host food drives in employee centers across the U.S. Employees are being encouraged to donate five non-perishable food items in recognition of the company’s upcoming five-year anniversary. Ameriprise financial advisors (in some locations) are also joining the effort by hosting food drives at their offices and inviting clients to bring non-perishable food items to meetings and special events.
· Extending its hunger relief efforts beyond September – In addition to recognizing Feeding America as a featured federation during its 2010 Annual Giving Campaign, Ameriprise Financial will provide a meal match for all pledges made by its franchise advisors. Each year, approximately 75 percent of the firm’s employees and financial advisors participate in the campaign by pledging money to their favorite charities, including a number of hunger relief organizations.
“We are extremely grateful to Ameriprise Financial for their support at this time of tremendous need in our nation,” said Vicki Escarra, president and CEO of Feeding America. “The stark reality is that nearly 6 million Americans this week alone will come to one of the soup kitchens or food pantries we serve, because they just don’t have enough food for themselves and their families. We could not accomplish the work we do without great corporate partners like Ameriprise Financial.”
Ameriprise Financial began a charitable partnership with Feeding America in 2009. Through the efforts of its advisors, employees, retirees and clients, the company has provided more than 10 million meals, raised more than $1.3 million and is on its way to meeting a goal of volunteering 50,000 hours in support of domestic hunger relief.
About Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month, and Feeding America is asking all Americans to take action to fight domestic hunger. The need in this country is tremendous – but so is the impact that you can have.
Throughout Hunger Action Month, Feeding America’s nationwide network of more than 200 food banks is calling upon communities to take action through the “30 Ways in 30 Days” campaign. Whether it’s by advocating and raising awareness, making donations, or giving of your time and energy, find the way that’s right for you to make a difference during Hunger Action Month.
About Feeding America
Feeding America provides low-income individuals and families with the fuel to survive and even thrive. As the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity, our network members supply food to more than 37 million Americans each year, including 14 million children and 3 million seniors. Serving the entire United States, more than 200 member food banks support 63,000 agencies that address hunger in all of its forms. For more information on how you can fight hunger in your community and across the country, visit http://www.feedingamerica.org. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/FeedingAmerica or follow our news on Twitter at twitter.com/FeedingAmerica.
About Ameriprise Financial Community Relations
Ameriprise Financial is dedicated to utilizing the firm’s resources, talents and volunteer time to improve the lives of individuals and build strong communities. Through grantmaking, volunteerism and employee and advisor gift matching programs, the company supports a diverse group of over 5,000 nonprofits across the country.
About Ameriprise Financial
Ameriprise Financial, Inc. is a diversified financial services company serving the comprehensive financial planning needs of the mass affluent and affluent. For more information, visit ameriprise.com.
# # #
* Online contributions will be matched two-for-one up to a total of $500,000.
© 2010 Ameriprise Financial, Inc. All rights reserved.